Meet Marcel Henri Gerard Verhoef
- MSc in computer science (1993, Delft University of Technology, NL)
- PhD in computer science (2009, Radboud University Nijmegen, NL)
- Previously worked for TU Delft, BSO Nieuwegein, BSO/Origin, Origin, Chess iT, Chess Embedded Technology and Chess Wise
- Now Software Engineer at the European Space Agency
- send me an e-mail or you can also find me on LinkedIn
- an overview of my papers on Google Scholar or ResearchGate
Current and Past Activities
I joined the European Space Agency in February 2015, where I work as a Software Engineer in the Systems and Software Engineering section, Software Systems Division, Systems Software and In-orbit Demonstration Department, Directorate of Technical and Quality Management (TEC-SWE) at ESTEC, Noordwijk (NL).
My focus is on applied formal methods to support the model-based design and analysis of space systems, in particular software requirements, fault detection, isolation and recovery (FDIR), real-time operating systems and schedulability, time and space partitioning and multi-core. I am coordinating several research activities in these domains and I provide software engineering support to the CHEOPS satellite, due to be launched in 2018.
I worked for CHESS (Computer Hardware & System Software) from 1999 to 2015, a small / medium enterprise based in Haarlem (NL) specialized in the development of high-end computer based systems for business critical applications, developing both hard- and software in house, product development for OEMs and other high-tech customers. Since 2014, this company moved its main focus entirely to MyriaWise: a groundbreaking smart wireless and secure fully meshed network technology that is self-organizing, scalable, low power and robust, with applications in smart lighting.
I have successfully completed (of course together with many colleagues and in close cooperation with our customers) substantial system engineering projects for clients such as NEONE (their certified BCT One Boordcomputer Taxi product), the Dutch Department of Defense, the Flower Auction at Aalsmeer (real-time auction clock system), the European Space Agency (proposal handling system of the Integral mission), Oce Technologies (wide-format printing calibration subsystem) and Siemens VDO Automotive (now known as TomTom; in-car radio navigation system architecture and real-time embedded middleware for their high-volume multi-media OEM platform).
I was a member of the CHESS innovation team and worked for four years in the BODERC research project at the Embedded Systems Institute. This project (from September 2002 until March 2007) was aimed at developing and improving multi-disciplinary design methodologies for real-time and distributed embedded systems. I obtained my doctoral degree, at the Radboud University Nijmegen, on the work performed in this project. My promotor was prof. dr. Frits Vaandrager and my co-promotor and thesis supervisor was prof. dr. Jozef Hooman.
Through Chess, I was also involved in the Quasimodo Seventh Framework EU project on quantitative analysis of embedded systems (from January 2008 until April 2011) and the DESTECS FP7 project (from January 2010 until December 2012) on co-simulation to support multi-disciplinary system design. DESTECS was a direct follow-up to my own PhD research, which led to the publication of a book and a tool which provides a coupling between Overture and the continuous time simulator 20-sim. This strand of research is now continued in the INTO-CPS project, under the EU Eight framework programme.
Refereed Academic Conference and Journal Publications
- Maxime Perrotin, Konrad Grochowski, Marcel Verhoef, Damien Galano, Michal Mosdorf, Michal Kurowski, François Denis, Estelle Graas, TASTE in action, Embedded Real-time Software and Systems (ERTS), January 2016. Download the paper.
- J.S. Fitzgerald, P.G. Larsen, K.G. Pierce and M.H.G. Verhoef, A formal approach to collaborative modelling and co-simulation for embedded Systems. Mathematical Structures in Computer Science (MSC), 23, pp 726-750, doi:10.1017/S0960129512000242, Cambridge University Press, July 2013.
- John Fitzgerald, Peter Gorm Larsen, Ken Pierce, Marcel Verhoef and Sune Wolff. Collaborative Modelling and Co-simulation in the Development of Dependable Embedded Systems. Integrated Formal Methods, LNCS 6369, pp 12-26, 2010. Invited talk (by John Fitzgerald).
- Broenink, Larsen, Verhoef, Kleijn, Jovanovic, Pierce. Design Support and Tooling for Dependable Embedded Control Software, SERENE 2010. Download the paper.
- Peter Gorm Larsen, Nick Battle, Miguel Ferreira, John Fitzgerald, Kenneth Lausdahl, Marcel Verhoef, The Overture initiative integrating tools for VDM, ACM Sigsoft, Software Engineering Notes, Volume 35, Issue 1 (January 2010).
- Jozef Hooman, Marcel Verhoef. Formal Semantics of a VDM Extension for Distributed Embedded Systems, D. Dams and U. Hannemann and M. Steffen (eds): W.P. de Roever Festschrift, LNCS 5930, pp 142-161, 2010. Download the paper.
- Marcel Verhoef. Modeling and Validating Distributed Embedded Real-Time Systems, PhdThesis, Radboud University Nijmegen, 21 January 2009.
- John Fitzgerald, Peter Gorm Larsen, Simon Tjell, Marcel Verhoef. Validation Support for Distributed Real-Time Embedded Systems in VDM++. 10th IEEE High Assurance Systems Engineering Symposium, HASE 2007. pages 331-340. Download the paper.
- Marcel Verhoef, Peter Visser, Jozef Hooman, Jan Broenink. Co-simulation of Real-time Embedded Control Systems, LNCS 4591, Integrated Formal Methods IFM 2007, pp. 639-658, 2007. Download the presentation. Download the paper.
- Zoe Andrews, John Fitzgerald, Marcel Verhoef. Resilience Modelling Through Discrete Event and Continuous Time Co-Simulation, DSN Fast Abstract. Accepted for the 37th Annual IEEE/IFIP International Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks (July 2007).
- Peter van den Bosch, Gerrit Muller, Marcel Verhoef, Oana Florescu. Modeling of hardware software performance of high-tech systems. Accepted for the 2007 INCOSE annual symposium. Download the paper. July 2007.
- Marcel Verhoef, Peter Gorm Larsen. Interpreting Distributed System Architectures Using VDM++ - A Case Study. Accepted for the fifth Conference on System Engineering Research CSER (March 2007). Download the paper and the presentation.
- Oana Florescu, Jeroen Voeten, Marcel Verhoef, Henk Corporaal. Reusing Real-Time Systems Design Experience Through Modelling Patterns. Appeared in: Forum on specification and Design Languages (FDL). ECSI, 2006. Received best paper award. Download the paper.
- Marcel Verhoef, Peter Gorm Larsen, Jozef Hooman. Modeling and Validating Distributed Embedded Real-Time Systems with VDM++. Appeared in: FM 2006: Formal Methods. Lecture Notes in Computer Science 4085, pp 147-162, Springer, 2006. Download the paper. Download the presentation.
- Martijn Hendriks, Marcel Verhoef. Timed Automata Based Analysis of Embedded Systems Architectures. Appeared in: Workshop on Parallel and Distributed Real-Time Systems (WPDRTS). IEEE, 2006. Download the published paper or download as technical report ICIS-R06003. Download the presentation.
- Heico Sandee, Maurice Heemels, Gerrit Muller, Peter van den Bosch, Marcel Verhoef. Threads of Reasoning: A Case Study in Printer Control. Appeared in: Systems Engineering: Shining Light on Though Issues. 16th Annual International INCOSE Symposium. 2006. Download the paper.
- Ernesto Wandeler, Lothar Thiele, Marcel Verhoef, Paul Lieverse. System Architecture Evaluation using Modular Performance Analysis: a Case Study. Appeared in International Journal of Software Tools for Technology Transfer (STTT). Special Section on Quantitative Analysis of Real-Time Embedded Systems. Volume 8, No 6, pp 649-667, Springer, 2006. Download the paper. This paper was originally accepted for the 1st International Symposium On Leveraging Applications of formal methods (ISOLA'04). The paper was revised for the STTT journal special issue. Download the presentation given at the Bits & Chips 2005 Embedded Conference. The MPA toolkit, developed by ETH Zurich, is available here.
- Have a look at my entry in the DBLP Computer Science bibliography database.
To Appear / Submitted for publication
Books and book chapters
- John Fitzgerald, Peter Gorm Larsen, Marcel Verhoef (editors), Collaborative Design for Embedded Systems - Co-modelling and co-simulation, Springer Verlag, 2014. Buy the book. ISBN 978-3-642-54117-9. Also look at the Crescendo tool to support the methodology described in the book.
- John Fitzgerald, Peter Gorm Larsen, Marcel Verhoef. Vienna Development Method. Article appeared in the Wiley Encyclopedia of Computer Science and Engineering, Benjamin W. Wah (editor), Wiley, Hoboken, NJ, January 2009, pages 2971-2982. ISBN 978-0-471-38393-2.
- John Fitzgerald, Peter Gorm Larsen, Paul Mukherjee, Nico Plat, Marcel Verhoef. Validated Designs for Object-oriented Systems. Springer, 2005. 402 pages. ISBN 1-85233-881-4. Buy the book. Also appeared as a Japanese translation with ISBN 978-1-85233-881-7 with the same publisher.
From left to right: John, Marcel, Nico, Paul and Peter.
- Marcel Verhoef, Jozef Hooman. Evaluating Embedded System Architectures. Chapter in the BODERC final report: Boderc: Model-based design of high-tech systems. Published by the Embedded Systems Institute. ISBN 90-78679-01-8. December 2006.
- Peter van den Bosch, Oana Florescu, Marcel Verhoef and Gerrit Muller. Modeling of performance. Chapter in the BODERC final report: Boderc: Model-based design of high-tech systems. Published by the Embedded Systems Institute. ISBN 90-78679-01-8. December 2006.
- Oana Florescu, Jeroen Voeten, Marcel Verhoef en Henk Corporaal. Reusing Real-Time Systems Design Experience Through Modelling Patterns. Chapter in Advances in Design and Specification Languages for Embedded Systems, pages 329-348. Springer. 2007.
Other Publications, Talks and Presentations
- Marcel Verhoef and Maxime Perrotin. TASTE for Overture to keep SLIM. Position paper presented at the 13th Overture workshop, FM2016, Norway.
- John S. Fitzgerald, Peter Gorm Larsen, Marcel Verhoef. System Development: The DESTECS/Crescendo Technology. ERCIM News 97, 2014.
- Marcel Verhoef. Cosimulatie verbetert dialoog tussen ontwerpdisciplines (in Dutch). Bits en Chips Magazine, October 2012 (number 8), pages 54-55.
- Marcel Verhoef. Embedding Formal Techniques into Industrial Product Development - Experiences with the DESTECS approach. presentation at Industry Day at Formal Methods 2012, Paris, 30 August 2012.
- Marcel Verhoef. Collaborative Modeling of Dependable Embedded Systems. Invited talk, inaugural lecture FOCUS research group, faculty of computer science, University of Namen, Belgium, 10 February 2012.
- Peter Gorm Larsen, Marcel Verhoef. Design of Real-time Embedded Control Systems using VDM++ and Bond graphs. Tutorial held at FM2011, University of Limerick, Ireland, 2011. Download the morning presentation and afternoon presentation.
- Marcel Verhoef, Are Formal Methods the Right Tool for Developing Real-time Distributed Embedded Systems?, Invited talk at Formal Methods for Predictable Embedded Systems, European Microsoft Innovation Center, Aachen, Germany, April 2010. Download the presentation.
- Marcel Verhoef, Peter Gorm Larsen. Predicable Development of Reliable Embedded Systems. Invited lecture at IMTECH Technical Systems and the IPA Research school Lentedagen 2008. Download the presentation.
- Marcel Verhoef. Modelling and Analysis of Distributed Embedded Real-time Systems using VDM++ and VDMTools. Invited lecture at CSK VDM seminar, Tokyo and Nagoya, Japan, July 2007. Download the annotated presentation.
- Marcel Verhoef. How To Build Embedded Systems Successfully. Invited lecture for the Embedded Motion Control course at Technical University of Eindhoven, Department of Mechanical Engineering. May 2011 - April 2006. Download the presentation.
- Marcel Verhoef, Beyond the Ordinary: Analysis of Distributed Embedded Real-Time Systems. Presentation given at the BODERC final symposium. 20 December 2006.
- Tiziana Margaria, Bernhard Schatz, Marcel Verhoef. Formal Methods Going Mainstream: Cost, Benefits and Experiences. Report on the ForTIA Industry Day at FM'05. Appeared in: BCS-FACS Facts, Issue 2006-2, pp 34-38, ISSN 0950-1231, September, 2006. Download the newsletter.
- Marcel Verhoef, Peter Visser. Hybrid Systems Modeling in VDM. Second Overture Workshop at FM'06. August 2006. Download the presentation.
- Marcel Verhoef. Comparing Performance Analysis Methods on an Industrial Case Study. Invited talk for the System Architecture Study Group. April 2006. Download the presentation.
- Marcel Verhoef. On the use of VDM++ for Specifying Real-time Systems. First Overture Workshop at FM'05. Newcastle University, CS-TR-969, pp 26-43, June 2006. Download the proceedings. Download the presentation. Presentation was first given in July 2005.
Some of my other activities
Have a look at my running page (in Dutch). I have participated in the ROPARUN 2009, being part of Team 175. We completed the Paris to Rotterdam relay run (540 km) in just over 43 hours and collected 40000 Euro for the ROPARUN cancer charity. In 2009 and 2010 I completed the Rotterdam Marathon and in 2010 I ran the New York City Marathon. In 2011, I completed the Terschelling Berenloop, the most fun half marathon in The Netherlands.